Pages

Saturday, 13 August 2011

Parkrun


Needing tons of practice and copius amounts of motivation for my running challenge (half-marthon in november), I signed up for my local Park run.

Parkrun organise free, weekly, 5km timed runs around the country. They are open to everyone, free, and are safe and easy to take part in. Register online, show up on the day, and you are ready to go. These events take place in pleasant parkland surroundings and people of every ability are encouraged to take part; from those taking their first steps in running to Olympians.

After the event, a cute webpage has a host of statistics to track your progress and your results are emailed to you, you can even get your time sent to you by text.

So I showed up at 9am at Milton Country Park on a rainy Saturday morning, slightly grumpy for an early start. The event is run by very friendly volunteers and the field is a lot less intimidating than my usual 5k league. I run an un-hurried, steady state tempo, overtaking a few slower people (yeah!) and trying to push a little in the last half km.

I was thrilled when my results came through, a couple of hours later:

Cambridge results for event #79. Your time was 27:27
Congratulations on completing your 1st parkrun and your 1st at Cambridge today. You finished in 154th place and were the 31st lady out of a field of 252 parkrunners and you came 8th in your age category SW30-34. 
You achieved an age-graded score of 54.04%


No comments:

Post a Comment